Barbuda

Martello Tower

The Martello Tower is situated on the south coast of Barbuda. It was built in the early 1800’s as a defense base for the British, to stand guard over the river landing, the island’s orignal quay.
Its name was derived from a tower Cape Martella in Corsica, that the British had difficulty in taking in 1974.
The current fort was erected on the site of a preexisting fort, presumed to have been built by the Spanish, dating back to 1745.
The 32 foot tall tower commands great views over most of the island.
The fort, which was once armed with three guns, is placed near a small stream which only appeared in wet weather.